Jeudi.Petillant

Thursday Afternoon - With a Little Gas

7.16.2005

Do YOU Kakou?

We were visited this week by the lovely Madame Maurice - the owner and winemaker of Bordeau estate Chateau La Cone. A charming and sophiticated lady, she entertained us all and seemed entertained by our company as well. Very cool woman.

Maurice (Madame La Cone)
Corky
& Chefguy RJ



So here we have a guest from Bordeaux and semi-regular D-Money gets to telling some good jokes. The highlights of this escapade are The Drunk Uncle Joke, and The Scottish Joke.

Now the jokes themselves are pretty good, I won't try and type them out here for obvious reasons. But what's really funny is D-Money telling stories about other times he's told these jokes. Apparently, telling the right joke at the opportune time can lead people to attempt to re-enact or re-tell the joke. And the outcome is usually far funnier than the original joke could ever be.

So anyway, we have D-Money over here doing a standup routine, most of which are semi-dirty jokes.
And we have Madame Le Cone one seat over who is kind of lost.


D-Money is Drunk Uncle


And when you need to translate a joke into French, who better than Corky's boss - Franck.

So D-Money is telling stories about telling jokes which are then translated into French by Franck who then relays them to Madame La Cone. And watching this whole thing unfold is itself somewhat amusing.

Franck Translates Jokes


So it was almost like having three jokes in one by the time everything unfolded.
That by itself is worth the price of admission.

Shout Out to the Chefs



Chateau Virgile 2004 Costieres de Nimes Blanc


A Marsanne and Rousanne blend that was clean and tasty.
One of my favorite styles of wine: Cheap Southern French White.


Chateau La Cone 2003
Premieres Coted de Blaye


Still kind of raw and unhinged. Any further critique would be premature.

Chateau LaCone 2000
Premiere Cotes de Blaye


Full and flavorful with firm structure and good if mild fruit.
Very good textbook budget Bordeaux.

Scott Harvey 2002 Amador County Barbera

Kind of thin in texture and fruit. I couldn't find much depth to speak of in the wine.
Good acidity though...

Scott Harvey 2001 Amador County Zinfandel

I know I've previously expressed my distrust of people with two first names, and the distrust holds true. Again, thin in the mouth and lacking any lengthy or deep fruit flavors.

Goundrey 2003 Chardonnay
Western Australia


I like fruit, fruit, fruit and acid with my toasty, vanilla-laden woodsy flavors. Alas, this chardonnay had no focus and had way more wood than quality fruit.

Bishop's Peak 2003 Pinot Noir
Central Coast

Sorry kidz. I was the only person who seemed to think this Pinot Noir lacked in purity and fruit, though maybe not so much in mouthfeel. Everybody else seemed to like this wine. I would conjecture that for $17 I've had other Central Coast Pinots that were much more focused, clean, vibrant, and ripe than this Bishop.

Li Veli 2002 Rosso de Salento
Passamante


I need to better discern the difference between over-ripe tank fermented primitivo and heat-damaged wine if I am to pass the Master Sommelier test.

Soos Creek 2002 Artist's Series #2
Columbia Valley


Here's my disclaimer: I sell this wine.
So yeah, I think it's good. Real good. Extra good, dammit.
So tell me if ya think I'm bullshitting, but I'd say this may have been the richest, most complex wine we tasted all afternoon. And I'd still drink that cheap Frenchy white before this chunky monkey anyday.

Smith-Madrone 2001 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon


The wine tasted a little too young and acidic to drink now, but it certainly has potential. While the alcohol was typically vapor-driven and phenolic, the tigh-fisted fruit flavors tried to spring forth.
Maybe this is how wine tasted from Napa twenty years ago?



So a scattered shot of wine this week and a bunch of dirty jokes. What could be better?

Actually, I'd like to thank the first ever non-member comment from ANONYMOUS. The general feeling I got from the comment is that I have my head up my ass. While this may or may not be true, I still soldier on relentlessly. How simple of you, however, to think that I get paid by somebody for posting my reviews. I only get paid when I sell my wines. However, I've decided that for $50 a pop, I'll gladly endorse any wine you'd like. Send me your copy and your cash and I'll sing the praises of whatever crap you want.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home